Friday, November 18, 2011

Little Poem




The clouds hover over the ocean
Signaling the rain to come.
Gusts of wind give the final warning.
I find refuge within my hammock
Pen and Paper in hand.
I watch as lives move before me
Walking incessantly upon the white sand highway
Many find cover under my roof
The rain gives a perfect excuse to come
Look at my photos for the 10th maybe 20th time.
Pictures of Ghanaian chiefs and the salt plains of Bolivia,
Thermal waters of blue skies and red bacteria in Yellowstone
Always draw fascination.
Photos of community members and myself in the finca bring laughter.
Questions of the world always ensue.
“What country is at the edge of the Earth?”
“Where were you when the twin towers fell?”
I love these questions
I get out my map and try to explain that the Earth is round
I give lessons on world history and U.S. involvement in the Middle East
These are indeed my favorite moments.
The rain calms and with on visitor gone, another arrives
A new round of coffee or tea
A new story
The same questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment